The Human Resources Business Partner is a strategic partner who proactively identifies solutions to business issues within Human Resources with main emphasis in the following areas: talent acquisition, including the recruitment of diverse, high-performing candidates; adjudication of HR process and procedures; employee relations support; compensation and benchmarking; immigration; retention; work within an HRIS; and the continual enhancement of a positive work experience for Sage's employees.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Works with minimal supervision in a highly visible position.
- Fosters strategic partnership with leadership to provide insightful counsel and support for business decision making.
- Acts in a consultative role with the utmost confidentiality, tact, and diplomacy.
- Works extensively with all levels of leadership and staff using sound business judgment.
- Acts professionally internally and externally to proactively promote Sage as an Employer of Choice in both the geographic and publishing communities.
HR Generalist-Type Responsibilities
- Performs HR duties that are generalist in nature with an emphasis on recruitment and onboarding, immigration cases, employee relations, and compensation analysis and benchmarking.
- Provides confidential and appropriate consultation to managers and/or individual employees for employment relations matters and compliance issues (e.g., progressive discipline, grievance resolution/investigations, performance management, harassment allegations, morale, work/family issues).
- Proactively communicates with appropriate managers on the 90- and 180-day probationary review process.
- Works with the Director, Organizational Development in the continuous feedback process for U.S. and Canadian employees including reviewing documentation by managers as needed, assisting with meetings between managers and staff in delivering feedback, etc.
- Researches, develops and/or revises, implements, administers, and interprets company HR policies, procedures, and programs.
- Prepares ad hoc department reports for management, detailing employee information/HR data, as needed.
- Conducts benchmarking to ensure compensation is a match for the job description and geographic market.
- Works in partnership with managers who enter employees into the progressive disciplinary process, ensuring thorough and appropriate communication, documentation, and fairness to the employee and the business.
- Acquires approvals and processes for immigration paperwork with highest accuracy.
- Brings a solid understanding of employment laws and regulations to maintain Sage's position as an Equal Opportunity Employer and to ensure policies and procedures are in compliance and are fair and equitable.
- Ensures company compliance with federal and state mandated programs such as EEOC reporting requirements, AAP reporting and compliance, etc. and other legislation that impacts the employer-employee relationship.
- Performs other projects and duties as assigned by the AVP, HR and OD.
- Reviews job description with hiring manager to be sure it is properly classified as overtime eligible or exempt and that it is up to date. Ensures updated job description is stored in the appropriate HR folder.
- Creates text for recruitment advertising and reviews with hiring managers to ensure job description is properly reflected and contains neutral language as it relates to gender, race/ethnicity, and age.
- Manages and implements specific recruitment strategies to achieve required staffing levels, including recruitment of a diverse group of qualified candidates for consideration.
- Meets with hiring managers to review and agree on specific recruiting plans for approved open positions. As needed, supports the development of interview questions with managers.
- Determines the most effective placement of recruitment advertising/posting to ensure approved positions are filled with the qualified and appropriate candidates at the lowest cost in the least amount of time using a variety of recruiting techniques and avenues.
- Supports professional relationships with college, university, and community placement offices, employment agencies, advertising agencies, etc. and attends appropriate job/career fairs to generate qualified applicants.
- Manages recruitment efforts, including conducting initial screenings and interviews, working with the scheduling team to schedule interviews of applicants with hiring managers and other internal interviewing staff, working with the manager of interns to conduct appropriate job testing, initiating background screenings, and extending employment offers.
- Recruits for overtime-eligible and exempt positions needed.
- Coordinates details of relocation, when appropriate, including securing temporary housing, etc.
- Writes appropriate and accurate offer letters (using approved templates and good judgment for exceptions), promotion memos, transfer memos, etc.
- Ensures accuracy of data needed on employee change notices (ECNs).
- Works with hiring manager to create a high-quality onboarding experience in new employees’ first days and weeks.
- Tracks, analyzes, and prepares hiring/termination data and cost analyses as needed, such as exit interview analyses, making suggestions for new analyses as appropriate.
- Participates in the preparation of the recruiting assumptions for the annual Human Resources budget.
- Works with the HR Business Partner colleague in charge of temporary recruiting requests, including selection of agency for utilization, placement of order, coordination of requirements/details, interfacing with agencies on problem resolution, coding/processing invoices.
- Prepares exit documentation for voluntary terminations and conducts exit interviews.
Education, Skills, Experience and Qualification Guidelines:
Include, but not limited to, the following:
- 4 to 6 years of progressively responsible positions in Human Resources.
- Working knowledge of employment law, both federal and state.
- Computer literate in Microsoft Office word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Experience with immigration law administration, AAP compliance, and PHR/SPHR accreditation preferred. Equivalent experience welcomed.
LANGUAGE SKILLS, REASONING ABILITY AND ANALYTICAL APTITUDE
- Ability to maintain high level of confidentiality and professionalism and work with tact and diplomacy while maintaining a sense of humor.
- Reasoning/problem-solving ability, effective decision making, sound business judgment.
- Excellent emotional intelligence/perceptive skills, capable of developing and maintaining positive relationships with individuals at all levels within the organization as well as with external resources and applicants.
- Ability to develop and maintain extraordinary working relationships with a variety of business leaders and employees, which includes possessing excellent communication skills, listening reflectively, maintaining objectivity.
- Sensitive to corporate needs, employee goodwill, and public image.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal capabilities, and strong presentation skills.
- Ability to work with constant interruptions.
- Multitasking ability.
- Project management ability.
- Effective internal/external customer communication.
- Ability to effectively manage vendor, contract, or consulting relationships.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work professionally under pressure and with a sense of urgency.
- Proficient math skills.
- Ability to effectively manage budgetary responsibility and analyze costs.
- Ability to work in an ever-changing, fast-paced environment requiring flexibility.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret concepts, documents, etc.
If you have a disability and you need any support during the application process, please contact email@example.com. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
Pay Transparency & Benefits Package:
Sage Publishing is committed to being an inclusive employer where all individuals are treated with fairness and respect. Sage is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer.
Compensation at Sage is influenced by several factors, including but not limited to skill set, nature and level of experience, qualifications, and other relevant considerations. Please note that the compensation details listed in U.S. role postings reflect the base salary only and do not include bonuses or benefits. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range and additional aspects of the compensation/benefits package for this position during the hiring process. If your desired salary falls outside of this range, we hope you'll still apply as there may be other positions that better align.
In addition to compensation, Sage offers a highly competitive and comprehensive PPO medical, dental, and vision care benefits package with SAGE covering most of the premium costs. Unique program benefits that support a healthy life, a company-sponsored anniversary trip every 5 years, a 401(k)-matching program of 100% up to 5% of pay, and other significant meaningful benefits. In alignment with our value for education, Sage offers financial support for bachelor's and graduate-level degree programs as well as learning for personal interest.
Sage offers freedom and autonomy in your day-to-day with hybrid or remote work, depending on the role. Join the nearly 2,000 Sage employees worldwide who deliver products and services that serve to fulfill our noble goal of education and dissemination of knowledge globally. We’d love to meet you!
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
At Sage we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team that is representative of all sections of society and to sustaining a culture that celebrates difference, encourages authenticity, and creates a deep sense of belonging. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, disability, sex or gender identity, sexual orientation, color, race, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief as creating value through diversity is what makes us strong. As a business and as an organization with an increasingly agile workforce, we're open to flexible working arrangements where appropriate.