Sales Engineers (SEs) are responsible for growing market share of Sage Publications’ courseware platforms by helping to advance the sales opportunity pipeline, win takeaway adoptions, and onboard new customers within their assigned regions. It is a cross-functional role that requires strong consultative selling skills, expert-level technical aptitude, an entrepreneurial mindset, and demonstrated ability to deliver results. SEs work closely with their Sales and Marketing counterparts to achieve regional courseware adoption and revenue targets. After sales are closed, SEs coordinate with internal partners to ensure that we address all technical requirements, provide onboarding and support services, and deliver successful outcomes.
PLEASE NOTE: We are seeking candidates who reside in the following states: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Tennessee
Job Functions (include, but are not limited to, the following):
Technical Sales & Pipeline Management
- Take a proactive, entrepreneurial approach to solo and collaborative selling efforts within designated region.
- Work with assigned Sales Reps to establish robust pipeline of courseware opportunities during every spring and fall selling season.
- Conduct virtual and in-person courseware demos for prospective adopters within region to help advance sales opportunities through the pipeline.
- Travel to college campuses within region to sell Sage courseware products and assist with Sales Rep development.
- Ensure courseware products achieve closed business, paid subscription, and annual revenue targets within region.
- Track customer interactions and sales opportunity progress in CRM/Cases.
- Gather technical requirements for large courseware adoptions.
- Ensure smooth transition of courseware adoptions from sales process to implementation process.
Onboarding & Customer Success
- Coordinate with Implementation team to ensure technical requirements for new accounts are met within necessary timeframe.
- Drive attendance to onboarding webinars so customers within assigned region understand how to optimize benefits of courseware platforms.
- Collaborate with the Engagement team to provide tailored onboarding services for Premier customers.
- Assist with start-of-semester training and technical support efforts, including hosted webinars, virtual office hours, and occasional in-person onboarding sessions.
- Work with customers and Sales Reps during the start of each semester to drive sufficient courseware registrations and subscriptions to achieve regional revenue targets.
- Assist Engagement team with retention outreach campaigns to ensure Premier customers within region continue using Sage courseware.
- Leverage relationships with existing customers to upsell and referral sell.
- Establish trust and develop productive working relationships with internal partners from across the US College division.
- Embrace coaching culture by assisting the Sales Training team with Rep skill development and technical competency initiatives.
- Collect customer insights on the courseware user experience and deliver to the Product Management and Editorial teams for consideration in prioritizing the enhancement roadmap.
- Provide field intelligence on market conditions and competitor platforms to Sales Enablement colleagues for use to sales training and tools.
- Coordinate with the Engagement team to identify Sage courseware power users in order to recruit new faculty partners.
- Frequent travel – up to 60% - is required for campus visits during primary selling seasons in spring (February – April) and fall (September – October).
- Occasional travel – up to 20% - is possible and should be expected for customer trainings in advance of each academic semester (August for fall and January for spring).
- In-person attendance at 2 sales meetings and 1 department retreat each year is required, along with other internal meetings as needed.
Qualifications & Education
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience in B2B Sales along with completion of some college-level coursework.
- 3+ years of work experience with a proven track record in B2B Sales, preferably within a technology, educational, and/or publishing-related field.
- Experience leading in-person and virtual sales presentations and customer training sessions.
- Strong work ethic and ability to commit 50+ hours/week during peak selling and onboarding seasons.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively across departments to achieve goals and meet deadlines.
- Commitment to personal development and willingness to learn.
- Microsoft Office Proficiency: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Consultative sales training / certifications.
- Experience with one or more Learning Management Systems (LMS) such as Blackboard or Canvas.
- Experience with online educational learning platforms.
- Experience with data analytics platforms such as PowerBI.
- Familiarity with Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI).
Language, Reasoning, Analytical, & Mathematical Skills
- Effective listening, verbal, and written communication skills
- Develop and maintain process documentation and quality assurance protocols
- Creative thinker who can work within practical boundaries
- High organizational skills
- Commercially minded
- Ability to set and follow through on priorities
- Ability to work on multiple projects at once and multi-task
- Ability to reason, problem solve, and make effective decisions
- Ability to effectively manage time to meet deadlines and work professionally
- Ability to foresee trends, situations, or problems
- Ability to read, comprehend, analyze and interpret concepts, reviews, etc.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and work with diplomacy
- Ability to work with constant interruptions
- Proficient analytical and mathematical skills
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
At Sage we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team that is representative of all sections of society and to sustaining a culture that celebrates difference, encourages authenticity, and creates a deep sense of belonging. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, disability, sex or gender identity, sexual orientation, color, race, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief as creating value through diversity is what makes us strong. As a business and as an organization with an increasingly agile workforce, we're open to flexible working arrangements where appropriate.